Director of Immuno-Oncology Research
Pulse Biosciences, Inc. is an immuno-oncology company developing a proprietary oncolytic electroceutical therapy based on its Nano Pulse Stimulation (NPS) platform. Preclinical studies using NPS on solid tumors in murine models has demonstrated that NPS enables effective local tumor control and initiates an adaptive immune response with a vaccine-like effect by inducing immunogenic cell death. We are expanding our preclinical immuno-oncology program and adding a new role, Director of Immuno-Oncology Research.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a cancer biology team focused on preclinical proof of concept, optimization and preclinical development for advancing NPS applications in solid tumors into the clinic. Emphasis will be the delineation and articulation of NPS therapy’s impact on the immune response, tumor biology, tissue and tumor microenvironment in translatable preclinical studies. The Director, Immuno-Oncology Research will work closely with our Chief Scientific Officer and will partner with the leadership team to help translate the corporate IO strategy into a research plan with near- and long-term goals.
The candidate will have in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals of cancer immunotherapy including immunology, tumor biology, cell death mechanisms and the tumor microenvironments in solid malignancies. The ideal candidate will have significant experience leading projects in a collaborative manner preferentially in an industry setting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, manage and lead the preclinical research team and programs from identifying preclinical animal models to completion and full data analysis
- Identify, integrate and leverage research tools maximizing translational preclinical research to clinical advancement including immuno-histochemistry, flow cytometry, molecular research and diagnostics, biomarkers, tissue staining
- Translate preclinical findings into actionable data to advance clinical development and to inform future studies
- Report, communicate and deliver study results on time
- Set high standards for experimental and preclinical research
- Oversee and support outside academic and/or contracted outside R&D projects
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Demonstrated expertise with tools and analytics used in cancer immunotherapy research
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to influence and collaborate in a team environment
- Experience interacting with and managing external resources such as academic collaborators, CROs
- Exhibit a great attitude as a team player who excels in a demanding start-up environment.
- Lead by example, balance leadership strength with self-awareness
- Demonstrate creativity and effectiveness in problems solving and strategic challenges
- Results-oriented, establish clear expectations, priorities and goals
- Build long-term, productive relationships by creating a culture of inclusion, engagement and dialogue
- Use good judgement and problem-solving logic
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- As a subject matter expert, a PhD, MS, and/or MD in the biological sciences with an Immunology focus is strongly preferred, with at least 7-10 years of industry experience
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity and independent thinking
- Proven track record of inspiring, motivating and mentoring scientific teams to strive for better science and to accomplish goals
Pulse Biosciences, Inc. is an immuno-oncology company developing a proprietary oncolytic electroceutical therapy based on its Nano Pulse Stimulation (NPS) platform. Preclinical studies using NPS on solid tumors in murine models has demonstrated that NPS enables effective local tumor control and initiates an adaptive immune response with a vaccine-like effect by inducing immunogenic cell death.
Pulse Biosciences, Inc. (PLSE, Nasdaq) corporate headquarters is located in Hayward, CA.