Senior GL / Payroll Accountant
The Senior Accountant is responsible for maintaining accounting policies and procedures that ensure the highest level of efficiency while maintaining appropriate internal controls and compliance with US GAAP. Essential duties and responsibilities are the month-end close process, maintaining the integrity and accuracy of the general ledger, including sub ledger to ledger reconciliations and account reconciliations, roll forwards and monthly / quarterly financial reporting. This position also entails all ownership of payroll functionality. The position operates in fast paced, diverse, and hands-on environment. As the company continues to grow, the Senior Accountant must be able to adapt quickly to meet the changing needs. The ideal candidate will be able to work well independently as well as in a highly collaborative team environment. He/she must be proactive, customer service oriented, ambitious, passionate, adaptable, and flexible.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare monthly journal entries including cash, deferred rent, amortization, depreciation and prepaid.
- Perform timely and accurate balance sheet reconciliations.
- Manage accruals, including clinical trial and other R&D accruals.
- Prepare audit support schedules.
- Assist with the execution and documentation of internal controls in compliance with SOX 404, including assisting with coordination of internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide support for the preparation of schedules for forms 10Q and 10K.
- Make and implement recommendations to improve accounting policies and procedures.
- Process semi-monthly payroll for 50+ U.S. employees in multiple states, including imputed benefits, gross-up earnings calculations, and earnings from equity transactions
- Identifying, analyzing and correcting payroll variances
- Primary point of contact for payroll-related questions with a focus on developing strong relationships throughout the organization
- Reconcile quarterly and year-end payroll reports and W-2 forms to ensure accuracy
- Process payroll adjustments to amend quarterly wages and taxes (as needed)
- Set-up and monitor payroll tax withholding, register and open new payroll tax accounts, and handle tax related correspondence for federal, state, county, and city
- Ensure payroll file is accurate and complies with appropriate FLSA calculations for regular time, holiday, over-time, PTO.
- Monitor electronic timesheets for accuracy; communicate with staff and supervisor regarding problems or needed adjustments.
- Process off-cycle manual checks and adjustments as required.
- Support the organization in maintaining a work environment focused on quality and that fosters learning, open communication, collaboration, integration and teamwork.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION /EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in finance/accounting or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy
- Minimum 5-7 years of increasingly responsible accounting and reporting experience, preferably with public companies
- Previous experience with mid-sized ERP systems, preferably NetSuite
- Computer literacy required, with the ability to navigate computer systems with little or no assistance. Proficiency in MS Office specifically with Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and work in time sensitive situations to meet deadlines
- High level of attention to detail, aptitude for planning/managing deadlines
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication (oral and written), organizational and project planning skills. Must have ability to effectively work and communicate with all levels of employees throughout the company. Should be customer service driven and have positive outlook.
- Previous experience in the life sciences, biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry highly desired
- Ability to self-motivate and function independently, driven towards superior effort and performance, and the desire to work in a very dynamic environment
- Collaborative and team-oriented.
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.